I have recently started treating Mira with homeopathic Lyssin.  This is a remedy made from the saliva of a rabid dog.  Homeopathic remedies are typically made from plant, animal or mineral but some are made from the essences of diseases: tuberculosis, psoriasis, cancer, parvo (among others) and yes, rabies.  

Remedies made from diseases are called nosodes.  These carry the energy of the disease and must be used carefully.  They really should only be administered under the care of a professional homeopath, which I am not, so I was a bit nervous about giving Mira the Lyssin.  But her profile seemed to call for it, so I decided to give it a try.

According to what I have been taught, nosodes are typically used when a case gets “stuck.”  By this I mean that a carefully selected simillimum (i.e. the remedy that fits the totality of the case) doesn’t work.  The nosode, or the energy of the underlying disease at the base of the symptoms you are dealing with (refered to as a miasm, or symptom ‘cloud’), helps remove the block and allows the case to proceed towards cure.

I have carefully worked Mira’s case over many times and the remedy that comes first and foremost for her every time is Stramonium.  I have dosed her several times with Stram, with much improvement.  But then she stopped improving, yet the symptoms didn’t change (they were just milder).  I’ve tried a few other remedies, all of which center around the rabies miasm.  But I really felt we weren’t making much progress.  So I decided to try Lyssin.

I gave Mira a 30c dose of Lyss before bed.  By 3am she was dancing around the room and so wild I had to put her in a crate to get any sleep.  The next morning I took her out and she had an acute bought of diarrhea followed immediately by several bouts of vomiting.  This was a strong reaction, but made it clear to me that the remedy was moving things along!  A good sign, and lucky I got her out of the house before it hit!  What came out of her was extremely toxic smelling.  I noticed that for the next couple of days she was far more wild and reactive than she’s been in a long time.  Then, about 3-4 days after being dosed, we were outside and a few children came up.  Mira kept an eye on them, but after a few minutes lay down and rolled over for a belly rub (by me).  Mira has been absolutely phobic of children since a small puppy and this is the first time I’d ever seen her take her eyes off them when they get within 30 feet of her, let alone be standing 4-5 feet away.

I let the remedy work for several weeks, then a few days ago decided to dose her again.  No diarrhea or vomiting this time (I have noted that this typically happens only after the first dose of a new remedy).  But the day after being dosed she definitely showed me the remedy was working in other ways!  We went out to the farm and as we were getting ready to go work, the dogs came across the scull of a ram who died a few weeks ago (the skull was put aside so the horns could be cut off and carved into shepherd crooks).  Hannah walked over and sniffed it, then walked away.  So did Ross.  Mira, on the other hand, nearly had a heart attack.  She barked and barked, all hackles up, acting like it was a Martian and we all needed to run for the hills.  

At this point I made a big mistake.  The skull was up on a fence post where she couldn’t actually reach it.  So I called her to me and lifted her up.  I then carried her over to the skull so she could sniff it like the other (taller) dogs did.  Well, as I approached the skull she had a total panic attack, lept out of my arms, and took off.  I left it at that, but later as we were working the sheep, she refused to come to me.  It took me a little while to understand what was going on, but then I got it: the last time she came to me something really scary happened, so now she was thinking twice about coming to me.  

As a puppy, Mira was very unforgiving about  mistakes like this and it would take me days or weeks to undo them.  She has not been like this for a long time (nor has she lost her mind like she did around the skull).  So this is clearly ‘symptoms returning’, caused by the remedy.  Again I see this as a good thing as it means the remedy is working.  I would prefer it not to cause such aggravations, but I had her out at the farm today (4 days later) and she ignored the skull along with the other dogs.  

Last night at agility, Mira showed me that other old symptoms were returning.  For example, she acted very spooky when my trainer tried to restrain her, something she’s been fine with for some time now.  She also burned out mentally very quickly and couldn’t stay focused on what seem to me to be fairly simple tasks.  

It’s interesting to see these symptoms again, and remember what Mira used to be like.  Most people would have just accepted her freakiness and done their best to train her as is.  I know people with dogs who are more nuts (i.e. fearful and reactive to the point of losing their minds and being unable to focus on anything other than what is freaking them out) than Mira ever was, and who have spent years and hundreds (thousands?) of dedicated training hours trying to get their dogs’ foggy brains to be able to work, and with only limited success.  I have done very little training with Mira, yet – as my agility instructor noted a few weeks ago – she “has come a million miles.”  I attribute this to her improved health through diet and homeopathy.  She of course still has a good distance to go before I’d consider her stable, and likely a lifetime of training and homeopathy won’t get her to be as calm and stable as Hannah (it can take 4-5 generations of natural rearing to undo damage like Mira has inherited).  But seeing her response to Lyssin gives me hope that we still have inroads to make.  And thanks to homeopathy, raw feeding and chiropractics, I no longer have to train with crazy.